As of January 14th, Windows 7 will no longer be supported by Microsoft. The company will stop releasing patches and updates, which may leave Windows 7 users susceptible to new threats. Anyone still running Windows 7 should upgrade to Windows 10 as soon as possible. Microsoft thoroughly explains what this means for Windows 7, and offers instructions on how to upgrade to Windows 10, here.
New scams targeting users who need to update their machines have already begun. Better Business Bureau reported a new phone-based scam where the caller claims to be tech support and tells the user to upgrade their machine. They then ask credit card information for monthly fees to update the machine. The article can be found here.
Some tips to remember to prevent falling for this scam:
- Don’t trust unsolicited callers. Reputable companies don’t call consumers without their permission.
- Double check unusual claims. If someone calls you claiming you have a problem you had no idea existed, don’t take their word for it. Hang up and do some research before you accept any help. In the BBB Scam Tracker reports, victims report that they were already using Windows 10 when they got a call claiming they needed to upgrade.
- Never allow a stranger remote access to your computer. If you have a genuine tech problem, get help from a reputable company or individual.
- Get tech information straight from the source. If your computer runs Windows, for example, find out about updates, new operating systems, and tech support directly from Microsoft. Double check you are on the official website or calling the real support line before you share personal information or pay any money.
- Verify that the link you are using is legitimate before entering credentials. For example manually enter the link of the service you are trying to use.
- Microsoft reports that any tech support claims are initiated by the customer, not them.
Always remember, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact IT Customer Care at (718) 817-3999 or via email to: HelpIT@fordham.edu.