CISA warns users to remain on alert for malicious cyber activity targeting potential disaster victims and charitable donors following a hurricane. Fraudulent emails—often containing malicious links or attachments—are common after major natural disasters. Exercise caution in handling emails with hurricane-related subject lines, attachments, or hyperlinks. In addition, be wary of social media pleas, texts, or door-to-door solicitations relating to severe weather events.
To avoid becoming victims of malicious activity, users and administrators should review the following resources and take preventative measures.
- Staying Alert to Disaster-related Scams
- Before Giving to a Charity
- Staying Safe on Social Networking Sites
- Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks
- Using Caution with Email Attachments
Original post here.